Some faculty find it helpful to maintain a communication policy within the Syllabus or as an Announcement. A sample appears below.
As an exercise in professional communication and self-representation, all emails and discussion board postings must follow traditional writing standards. Each communication should include:
- A Salutation: Hi/Hello Person's Name
- A message or body that is clear, concise, polite, and has complete sentences with standard spelling and grammar--including capitalization and punctuation. (No text message-ese or IM slang).
- A Sign-Off: Thanks/See you Monday/Have a nice weekend/Best wishes, and your name.
- Questions about TECHNOLOGY should be asked in the Technology Questions discussion forum.
- Questions about an ASSIGNMENT or the SYLLABUS should be posted in the Questions for the Instructor discussion forum.
- Personal matters should be discussed with your instructor through email.